Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Three Black Lotuses in One, Anyone?


I started playing MTG in 1995, i think. And my first deck was a loaner from a friend-a white banding deck!
I never won any games with it. Until my banding deck slowly evolved to a "white weenie" based on the 1996 champion Tom Chanpheng and playing was never the same again. (see deck details below)

Back then, the Black Lotus was a myth, meaning, i have heard of it, but not seen one. It was the most expensive MTG card and i thought anyone who has it on their decks would surely win any tournament. I was totally a newbie!

I am now what you call a casual player. I don't join pre-releases anymore, nor play in any tournament. I just play with my friends...at home or in the office.

Until Now!

The 2010 Core Set had me going excited again.
From what the spoilers are revealing, i believe it's going to be one helluva set. Probably one of the main features would be the "Golden Lotus". A slower version of the Black Lotus but gives mana 3 times more-of any color! It does come with a 3-land sacrifice and comes into play tapped. But who cares now, can you imagine all the combos you can do with it? Wizards! No R1, No banning please of this card! We'll have to see when players start building decks around it. Definitely not a Black Lotus, but it has the make of becoming a classic...we'll at least for me. (image from Wizards.com)

White Weenie by Tom Chanpheng:
4 Order of Leitbur
4 Order of the White Shield
2 Phyrexian War Beast
4 Savannah Lions
2 Serra Angel
4 White Knight
1 Armageddon
1 Balance
4 Disenchant
1 Sleight of Mind
1 Land Tax
1 Lodestone Bauble
1 Reinforcements
1 Reprisal
4 Swords to Plowshares
1 Zuran Orb

4 Adarkar Wastes
1 Kjeldoran Outpost
4 Mishra's Factories
11 Plains
4 Strip Mine

No comments:

Post a Comment